2015 Workshop Descriptions
The list below is not quite complete as we are still finalizing a few sessions.
Keynote: What No One Else Will Tell You About Publishing
After seven novels with traditional publishers and experiments with independent publishing, author and writing teacher Tom Leveen presents several of the pitfalls, traps, and realities of the full-time fiction-writing life…and encourages everyone to keep on trying.
Learning Objective: How to combine art + craft + business
This year the Southwest Valley Writers Conference has lined up some excellent speakers to provide more in-depth and interactive workshops in hopes that our attendees with gain more valuable insight into their craft.
Writing the Contemporary Novel
- To bring up attendees writing skills to the professional level in demand by today’s publishers.
Publishing in the 21st Century
This session will cover three areas of publishing today:
- The 4 and-a-Half Paths to Publishing
- Self Publishing Overview
- Branding, Marketing, and The Changing Market
- Attendees in this workshop will learn about the various methods for getting their books published so that they can make informed decisions.
- We will also look at successful self-publishing strategies
- explaining author branding and marketing, and the currently shifting marketplace.
Expand Your Research – Expand Your Writing
Research adds credibility and professionalism to all types of writing, including historical, mysteries, fantasy, creative nonfiction, science fiction, memoir, and essays. Attendees will learn not only how and where to find information, but handy tips for every writer or
Session Learning Objectives:
- How research benefits all writers.
- Why research is important.
- Types of research including Internet, bookstores, libraries, and everyday life.
- Analyzing the sources and the research.
- Saving your research.
- Making research your friend.